The past is the past

Home Forums Alcoholism Share Experience Strenght and Hope The past is the past

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jodi L
    Participant

I wanted to write something today to show just how much things can change in your life if you choose to take the time to work the AA program.

I have been in and out of AA for approximately 10 years now. Only in the last 2 years have I been faithfully attending meetings at my home group and participating in the on line meetings with myRecovery.

It was 2 years ago yesterday that I made the long drive to the Retreat from Winnipeg, Canada. I had been sober for 2 days and there was a bed available for me. It’s not just that I “went to treatment” for my alcoholism, I went to a place that helped me start my journey towards a better life for myself and those around me. The Retreat staff, and volunteers that came in showed me that it’s not just a matter of not drinking it’s about who I am as a person.

I knew how much I had put my loved ones through during my on and off again drinking. I was always aware of the damage i caused and the chaos of people around me trying to figure out “what’s wrong with me” or if I would be sober or not when they were around me.

I always knew the hell I put everyone through. But it wasn’t till yesterday that I truly saw just how grateful my children were for my sobriety in the last 2 years. It wasn’t the flowers they bought me, it was when I looked into my daughter’s eyes and saw that they were filling up with tears…..she laughed and said she didn’t know why she was crying….I told her it was because she went through a lot when I was drinking. She hugged me and told me how proud she was of me.

Although they will never forget “what I used to be like” they have let it go and now look at the future with happiness and gratitude.

Thank you all for taking this journey with me.

Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Jodi – This was just awesome…I needed to hear this today!! I love seeing the hope side of our disease! Even your family is starting to see the hope and the miracle this program can give. I’m so glad to have you in online meetings and writing the in the forums to encourage others to stay on the path because it works if you work it! 🙂 Much love to you dear and keep it up! – H

Anonymous Anonymous
    Participant

Hi just reading…I do that a lot lately..lol but something you said Jodi…it’s not just a matter of not drinking but “who I am as a person?” Ya..who am I?? Great question…something to think about!

Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Awesome Lynn!! Love this! – Heidi

Anonymous Anonymous
    Participant
    Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Hey Lynn, Meeting is canceled today! Heidi is sick but Tom will be on tonight!! – Heidi

Anonymous Anonymous
    Participant

I am sad to hear that she is not feeling well. I will miss her! Hope she gets to feeling better! And, yea glad to hear Tom’s meeting is still a go! See you tonight Tom! And thank for letting me know Heidi Q. I appreciate this!

Ryan A
    Participant

Yes. I agree. Who you are and who you can become without drugs or alcohol. That is a very good point to think about. Instead of focusing on just a negative and not drinking to also focus on who you can be what you can be or do without the drug. That is interesting to think about. Thank you for posting.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)