RELAPSE WARNING SIGNS..

Home Forums Preventing Relapse Relapse Warning Signs RELAPSE WARNING SIGNS..

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Christine p.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brian Burgess
    Participant

It is sad that many people who try to recover from addiction to alcohol or drugs do not stay in recovery. Although relapse may be common, rarely does it occur without warning. There are usually significant behaviors that can signal that the recovering person is at high risk for relapse. It is critical for anyone in recovery to understand these warning signs.
    First, it is important to understand triggers. Triggers are things that tend to lead addicts back to their drug of choice. A trigger can be a person, a place, certain types of events, or unresolved psychiatric issues, such as depression or anxiety. When a person undergoes addiction treatment, their therapist will help them understand those things that could trigger them to relapse.

Casabella Recovery
    Participant

Relapse is so common in the alcohol and drug recovery process that it is often assumed that those trying to remain abstinent have at least one relapse before they achieve lasting sobriety. But a relapse, sometimes called a “slip,” doesn’t begin when you pick up a drink or a drug. It is a slow process that begins long before you actually use.The steps to a relapse are actually changes in attitudes, feelings and behaviors that gradually lead to the final step, picking up a drink or a drug.If you are trying to obtain long-term sobriety and avoid having a relapse along the way,therefore it is important to recognize the warning signs and take action to keep them from progressing into a full-blown relapse.

kevin Finn
    Participant

Ah yes. This is a strange topic indeed. Some people “relapse” and others simply drink with moderation for the rest of their days. To be honest, I’m not even sure what defines a relapse. I’ve come to thin of it as an instance when an ex-drinker goes out on a long bender. However, I’ve heard people at AA meetings speak of their own relapse as being a single drink at a bar. It’s really quite odd.

Christine p
    Participant

What could be a warn sign to me that I am leading up to a relapse are being easily angered, moping around, not getting involve with an activity, with me it was how my thinking got me, reliving in the past, could lead up to a relapse. Being alone. being hungry. thinking of the if only’s, and so on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)