Really trying to be sober

Home Forums Alcoholism Inspiration and Meditation Really trying to be sober

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Shawndra Marie Dillon
    Participant

Hi group I am so glad I found this forum. I am trying hard to be sober, I have not been and I am angry at myself. I was in rehab last Summer and relapsed when my drug addicted stepdaughter came back to our town to live. I seem to have fallen right off the wagon and try and hide my drinking, but my fiance and kids know better. I am trying very hard to manage my triggers but not doing well at it. I am hoping to find support here to help me along.

Tom G
    Participant

Sarah, rather than throwing ideas at you, how about posting a little more about your story? Do you attend an AA meeting? Do you have a sponsor? Are you familiar with the 12 steps of AA? Is your step-daughter a source of resentment?

I’m sure someone will relate and have suggestions for you.

That’s the great thing about this fellowship, we can help each other!

Welcome to the fellowship!

Tom G.

Tom G
    Participant

Sarah, without knowing too much about your situation I would suggest getting to a meeting, if don’t already go to one. Get to other meetings, if you have the chance. Maybe there is a meeting out there that can help you deal with the triggers that lead to relapse.
    If you don’t have a sponsor, get one. With a sponsor, work or re-work the first three steps. Work them until you have a strong foundation for recovery. The first three steps gets you to be sane and sober, the remaining steps give you the tools to remain sober on a day to day basis.
    Through the steps I learned that I am a selfish person. For me, my triggers revolve around living life according to my will and having resentments against the people in my life who get in the way of my will and view of how things should be done.
    Through the steps and the program I’ve learned to recognize the triggers as they are occurring. I’ve also learned to let go of my will. My resentments and the triggers go away when I turn my will and life over to my Higher Power. Sobriety and all of the good things that brings with it are there when I live my program.
    Sobriety is a gift we get to receive on a daily basis. It’s worth the effort. But we must be willing.
    I’m pulling for you to get and stay sober. To build the skills necessary to remain happy, joyous and free. I’m not alone in this pulling for you…there’s a whole fellowship out there ready to listen and help.
    Keep coming back and let us know how you’re doing! Tom G.

Jackie Mason
    Participant

HI, THanks for sharing. I have only been sober to two days, but I am very lucky to have support daily. We live in the country and I rely on this website for information and support. I felt for you when you shared and I want to wish you the best, try to remember that you are the most important thing in life, so being happy, free and not in prison will be nice for both of us

Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Love this post Susan!! Thanks for posting this! – Heidi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)