Possible help to prevent relapse

Home Forums Preventing Relapse Relapse Warning Signs Possible help to prevent relapse

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Philip Watness
    Participant

You know, I’m not so sure how many people are going to be on board with this, but I’m just asking opinions and feedback. I had seven years of sobriety and have recently relapsed and only have two weeks sober now I used to think that talking to people on the phone was not going to be helpful. But now I have learned that it is very very helpful. How many of you out there think that you would like under accountability call maybe once or twice a week just to see how you are, where you are in your sobriety, if you need to be stepping up, if you’re feeling goofy, and then offer you suggestions to get back on track? Would any of you be interested in something like that?

Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Are you talking about having people in this community site calling and talking to people? Just make sure that you are keeping your phone number in private messages and or email once you are friends on the site if that was something you are looking for. I do agree that talking to the people on the phone is HUGE!!! I have always ran my program with my sponse’s that 1st year is call every day then 2nd year is call 4 days a week then it’s 3 days a week after for the rest of our time together. I just believe in the power of connection in this program! great post! -H

Philip Watness
    Participant

Oh, awesome. Thank you for your feedback. And thank you for your honesty. I really appreciate it and it really helps. Is there anyone else out there that has anything to say about this before I go tell my friends what the AA community does? Oh, and by the way, no, it’s not just people in the neighborhood calling. It’s a very real medical alcoholism expert who would truly help, calling from the hospital. My dad has a couple hundred hospitals he’s going to work with on this. But I told him it cannot have anything to do with Alcoholics Anonymous, but just those that want to get sober. There are lots of ways to get sober, besides AA. Nothing else ever works for me, but!!!

So they know what they’re doing. And they know we can’t bring God or the steps or anything into it. It is just to give that desperate, dying, scared to death person a little bit of attention and accountability so they have a little hope. Would be Absolutely confidential, no concerns about that. It is anonymous. It is private.
    I think back about when I was trying to get sober and I was so scared to call my sponsor and it would’ve been so wonderful if somebody would’ve just called me. That’s probably arrogant, but we were that early in recovery, were arrogant! If someone had called me and really dug into me what’s going on with me, I know I could’ve been honest and gotten some better help.

So anyone else? Anyone else? Anyone else!! Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)