New

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Hugh E
    Participant

I’m new to recovery and would like daily encouragement …I hope this is the right place to start .

Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Juliet – Absolutely!! Tell your story, ask questions…everyone responds! Hope your day is going well! My name is Heidi and I am an alcoholic and addict! Keep coming back and comment in here and people will send messages, encourage and help where they can! – Heidi

Hugh E
    Participant

Thank you …having trouble posting a picture Altho I cropped it . Anyway I do have A Story to vent , not sure if I’m suppose to share here or start a new thread?

Tom G
    Participant

Juliet, welcome to sobriety! It’s a gift that is well worth the effort it takes to get and keep. Go ahead and post anyway you want. All new posts show up on the site’s main page. Usually get a new thread for new topics or discussions.
    This is a great place to get the support you are seeking. Just like those before us helped us out, we gladly help the newcomer. You’ll find that helping others helps you stay sober.
    Looking forward to reading your posts! Tom G.

Hugh E
    Participant

Thanks once again, I’m still sober -but of course the weekends present much temptation ..

Anonymous Anonymous
    Participant

I am having trouble posting a profile picture too!!! Says I need to crop and save…it’s bugging me..lol

sandy browne
    Participant

I am wondering if this website and group will help. I’ve recently lost my husband to cancer at the age of 39 and have children still at home. Alcohol has been my go to instead of coping with the grief. A friend of mine has said it is now an issue and I need to confront it. I didn’t see it as a problem at first, but now realize addiction slapping me directly in the face. I am seeking a face to face counselor next week, but was hoping to have an opportunity to share and visit with others who may have some of these same issues. I have searched for both grief and alcohol support groups. However, this is day 2 of sobriety. I don’t see a lot of current messages and information. Have I just been looking in the wrong places and not navigating very well?

sandy browne
    Participant
    Tom G
    Participant

Marie, my name is Tom and I am an alcoholic. I am so sorry to hear about your husband. Grief after losing a spouse, especially at such an early age, can be devastating. Unfortunately, many do turn to alcohol and drugs to deal with the grief and the reality of the situation.
    You have a good friend who was comfortable with you enough to point out that you might have a problem with alcohol. I’m glad you were willing to take a look at your drinking and be honest enough with yourself to ask for help. That’s the first step to recovery…not only from alcohol, but also from grief.
    The fellowship of AA is ready to assist you in whatever it takes to gain sobriety so you can safely go through the grieving process and be there for yourself and your children.
    Please post more and tell us your story. I’m sure you will find the support you need here and closer to home.
    It might be helpful to let us know what part of the world you live. No need to be too specific, we are anonymous, after all!
    Please know that you have a large group of people ready to stand behind you and guide you to a life that no longer requires alcohol. It is possible. This program works and I am proof of that.
    Keep coming back, because this works!

Tom G.

Ryan A
    Participant

Tom, thank you so much for the supportive reply. I live in Missouri and just turned 39 years old. To be honest today is day one for me in sobriety. I have recently given sovriety two tries one of which lasted two weeks and one lasted 5 days. And there were other attempts as well prior to that but unsuccessful ones. Throughout the course of our marriage I always thought I might have a drinking issue, but my husband helped keep me accountable most of the time. I absolutely adored him and well, still do. Tuesday I will meet with a counselor for the first time where I am ready to make a change now. I would like any encouraging words anyone feels comfortable sharing. I attempted an online meeting last week, but was unsuccessful. By the time I got home and tried to connect I was too late. I had to update my computer with compatible camera and software and it took me too much time. However I do plan on making another one after I visit with a counselor Tuesday.
    My husband was completely healthy until his doagnosis with a very rare form of cancer. It was so fast. From diagnosis to the end was less than 8 months. He was a wonderful gentleman. A Christian man with such character and integrity. The entire community adored him. We were married 19 years. We met in college and got married while still completing our degrees. I want to honor him by taking care of our kids and making something positive out of all this. As for the last several months I have not faced the grief and have resorted to drinking to hide from it. I am hoping by visiting with this counselor, this website and group, and possibly a grief support (butt they are hard to find with women of my similar age) that I can begin to live again and be healthy.

Anonymous Anonymous
    Participant

Hi Marie…my name is Lynn and I am 47 years old! I found this awesome group about 2 months ago and have found my first friends, I call them my friends, in recovery here! These online meetings are what I have until I can get myself to an outside meeting. I am just very grateful for Heidi W., Heidi Q., Tom and Jodi and their awesome online meetings that help me out each week of recovery! Thank you! And hoping to see you Marie at the next online meeting! OK well have a goodf Sunday….nice meeting you!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)