new here but not to addiction

Home Forums Member Topics New Member Cafe new here but not to addiction

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kelbren houle
    Participant

Hi..this is new for me..although I’ve been an addict for years
    About to lose everything due to my drug use. .the best boyfriend I could ask for
    Who has never done drug..works hard and treats me like a princess
    And this is what I give him????
    I’m so sad and do want to stop..but at this point i think this is
    What my life is..sad amd pathetic 🙁

Sol R
    Keymaster

kelbren h,

I can remember being at a place of complete hopelessness and sincerely wanting to get better. I was paralyzed and kept repeating the same behaviors over and over. The whole process was just so overwhelming I did not know how or where to start. I reached out for help and started taking suggestions because I was finally at a point where all of my ideas on what to do had not worked. I started by taking simple actions such as making a commitment to go to meetings each week. I then got a sponsor and again started taking simple actions that he suggested. Those actions continued to build on each other and my life started to get better. Recovery is a process and it takes time….I had to be patient but taking actions made me feel better. I can not think my way into a better way of feeling, I need to take action. We are here for you!

Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Hey just read your forum post…I can remember being at the bottom and wanting to start climbing out of my own sh*t and get better. From the sounds of it you want to be happy again. I remember I had to hit rock bottom before I went in to get sober and it was painstaking. I knew tho that I could not go on with my life anymore the way I was going. I finally got a sponsor, meetings, friends in AA and worked the program of AA. I read the first 164 pages of the Big Book and did the 12 Steps with my sponsor. I won’t say that life has been all rainbows and butterflies BUT I would take my worst day sober than my best day using! If you need anything else write another forum post OR friend me on myRecovery!! Thanks for sharing your story.
    Heidi Q.

Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Hey just read your forum post…I can remember being at the bottom and wanting to start climbing out of my own sh*t and get better. From the sounds of it you want to be happy again. I remember I had to hit rock bottom before I went in to get sober and it was painstaking. I knew tho that I could not go on with my life anymore the way I was going. I finally got a sponsor, meetings, friends in AA and worked the program of AA. I read the first 164 pages of the Big Book and did the 12 Steps with my sponsor. I won’t say that life has been all rainbows and butterflies BUT I would take my worst day sober than my best day using! If you need anything else write another forum post OR friend me on myRecovery!! Thanks for sharing your story.
    Heidi Q.

Brian Burgess
    Participant

Why are you so sad! I don’t think that you should be sad. You should taking actions for feeling better. And you always think that you are going into a better way of feeling. Always think positive, positive thinking is a better way for you. Good Luck.

kevin Finn
    Participant

You’re in the right place. Addiction can be a really good thing if it is focused on something positive. Many people here go to meetings. Essentially, they trade one time wasting compulsion for another. Do you think that you could find some other positive activity that you could focus on? Wish you the best.

Kyle James Baird
    Participant

This is the number 1 issue I struggle with. How do I accept myself when I have done what I have done. After the clean time and hard work doing the steps, being of service at the area level and the group level, I still could not gain forgiveness from my former life. That has made it really hard to accept myself. But, as bad as I feel. The guilt, depression, anxiety, everything. I must not loose focus on what I have today. Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have. My sponsor and his wife have shown me compassion and love I have not experienced before. I still have my father in my life and however dim it may seem, I still have a hope for a better future.

My guilt is my addiction trying to get a foot in the door. Once it is in, it will give me a slow and painful death

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)