How to get sober???!!!!????

Home Forums Alcoholism Share Experience Strenght and Hope How to get sober???!!!!????

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    T Jana
    Participant

I started drinking at age 15, have pretty much been binge drinking since then… Sometimes a few times a month and sometimes a few times a week. I am now 27 and I do not think I fully realize how addicted I am until I try to quit.. I last a few days then fall back to my old habits. My dad died last year in his 50’s from drinking and drugs basically. I feel destined to follow in his steps If I do not change… Id lOve to connect with someone as a support person. Thank you:)

Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Hey,
    Just read your post…amazing truth! Thank you for sharing your story! I also had the problem when I first started to figure out that I had a problem. I realized that I couldn’t do anything on my own. Finally I got to my rock bottom and I asked for help. I called a treatment center and said I’m lost and don’t know what to do. Long story short…I got in, got sober, got into the rooms of AA, got a sponsor and I have been doing the deal ever since. You are doing the right thing by coming on this site and asking…you are taking the first steps to a better life. It takes a lot of courage to do this so great job! Looking forward to hearing more in your journey of recovery. If you need any numbers for good treatment centers or places to go message back I can give you some! Heidi

Sol R
    Keymaster

Thank you so much for reaching out….you are doing the next right thing and talking about it. We are here for you!

Brian Burgess
    Participant

The real secret to getting sober, and to repairing all the broken aspects of your life, is to take the time (probably through trial and error) to figure out the causes of your addiction and the aspects of your character that can be pressed into service in curing them. To do that, you’ll have to figure out your own list of things you enjoy about drinking (for me: adventures, reckless spending, dating, etc.) and how you can keep those things alive through sobriety. Then you need to figure out what part of your personality will drive you to stay sober…

kevin Finn
    Participant

Hello TJ,
    Thanks for sharing your story here on MyRecov. It sounds like you need a major change in your life to make a transition off the bad stuff. You should try a few things and see if you can find some positive activity that really interests you. I’m wishing you the best of luck. Any place where you can stay to bleed out the bad stuff would be good. Maybe a friend’s cabin in woods?

You could also look into some self help groups. There’s AA if you are already religious or you could try SOS or SMART recovery if you aren’t already religious.

Hope you find your way.
    —kev

Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Great comments Kevin!

Kyle James Baird
    Participant

I agree a time out really helps. Rehab worked for me because I had insurance and had no money to go on vacation to dry out. While it was a good experience, the sum of rehab was to practice recovery everyday. Meaning, get a sponsor, 12 steps, treat yourself well, and never put yourself into situations that threaten recovery. The hardest part for me was following instructions without picking and choosing what I was going to do. Otherwise I would have over 2 years clean

Brian Burgess
    Participant

Even though the hardest part was follow instructions, you made through it ,and did fine…That’s an accomplishment by itself…so be proud and stay healthy and happy..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)