Day 1: Finally telling the truth

Home Forums Alcoholism Share Experience Strenght and Hope Day 1: Finally telling the truth

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tonya Forcier
    Participant

I joined this site today and decided that if I am ever going to find true change I need to be honest. So…

Today I decided to tell the truth… to myself, to my fiance, and to my parents. I am an alcoholic.

To my fiance (who obviously already knows this and is about to walk out the door because i’m so out of control) I admitted the truth of how much and how often I drink and how much of my problem I hide from him.

You see, I am a highly functioning alcoholic. I have two beautiful daughters, a great career, a beautiful home, loads of friends and one great big SECRET. I drink waaayyyyyy too much. I can’t control it. I can’t stop once I start.

I begin thinking about alcohol before I leave my office and look forward more to those drinks when I get home than to seeing my family. I drink a lot and I hide it or disguise it as “having fun” or “blowing off steam”.

Confessing to my parents was harder. They are each also highly functioning alcoholics and have been my entire life. I thought it was normal! So I wrote them a letter:

Mom and Dad,

I am writing to share something that I can’t face you to talk about. I am an alcoholic. I have to stop drinking now before it becomes as ingrained in my children as it is in me. I drink every night. I am not capable of stopping at one drink. I need help.

I have joined a recovery program, removed all alcohol from my home and I need to not allow myself into situations where I am at risk.

I love you both more than you will ever know and I am proud to be your daughter. I had an amazing childhood and I feel that if I can be half the parent that the two of you are I will consider that a success. That being said I believe that you both also suffer from this same problem. We are highly functioning alcoholics and we are all at risk of the medical issues associated with it.

I am getting help and I hope with all of my heart that you will each face the truth and support me and get help for yourselves.

I love you very much.
    Tonya

Let’s see what happens next! Wish me luck! (God knows I need it)

Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Tonya –
    This was so awesome to read! I love hearing people’s stories about finally coming forward and saying “I am an alcoholic and I’m ready to change!” What an amazing story you have! This journey is awesome, life changing and full of promises! I always think back to what my sponsor told me…promises will always come true, IF YOU WORK FOR THEM! Work Work Work! Keep posting your experience, strength and hope are very inspiring! Heidi

Heidi Quist
    Keymaster

Tonya –
    This was so awesome to read! I love hearing people’s stories about finally coming forward and saying “I am an alcoholic and I’m ready to change!” What an amazing story you have! This journey is awesome, life changing and full of promises! I always think back to what my sponsor told me…promises will always come true, IF YOU WORK FOR THEM! Work Work Work! Keep posting your experience, strength and hope are very inspiring! Heidi

Sol R
    Keymaster

Tonya,

Wow…so so so inspiring to read! Thank you for sharing with us! I am sure your story will help someone else!!!

Simply AMAZING!

Sol

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)