Adult Children in Recovery

Home Forums Family & Friends Support Coping with Alcoholism Adult Children in Recovery

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

What does a “healthy” family look like?

Most of my life (up to about high school) I thought my family was “perfectly normal”. Mom ruled the roost with iron control and Dad just tried to lighten everything up. There were a lot of “secrets” and loud closed door “discussions”, which we kids just tried to ignore, but it wasn’t until I was allowed to “sleep over” at my friend’s houses that I began to realize that not all families acted like that. Forty years and two divorces later I ended up “in treatment”…about to fall into the abyss.

I am so grateful for this program as I have learned that it was not I who was crazy. My responses and survival instincts got me through for the most part, but they proved not to be enough. Only by aligning myself with a power greater than myself have I found the joy in being alive again.

What have your experiences been? [img]http://www.erecoverydev.com/images/fbfiles/images/worthy.jpg[/img]

Attachments:
    admin
    Keymaster

Peggy,
    Your story is one shared by many of us and your path to enlightenment has made all of our lives a little brighter.
    Warmest regards, John

Brian Burgess
    Participant

Yours is a very touching story,but this happens in every second household.If you thought your family was different then it might have been different from your friend’s family but not entirely.You have to adapt yourself to the ways of your family and learn the rules otherwise life may go astray, as it has happened in your case.So please be responsible for your actions and try and put your life back on the right track.

Casabella Recovery
    Participant

It is indeed a very touching story but this is something which happens every where.But yours is a totally normal family as they are also facing the same situation as many of us are.But to keep your life on track you will also have to learn and follow the rules of your family.If being in treatment has helped you then I feel it was good for you.Thank God that you found the right way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)